Twists & Turns
ABOUT the Designer
ABOUT the Designer
Angela Wemigwans, Designer and Fabricator
Twists & Turns is an Ontario-based jewelry company located on beautiful Manitoulin Island. It is an online business specializing in handmade jewelry, such as earrings, necklaces, rings, necklaces and pendants. The company arose from an idea of heritage and tradition. The owner, a grandmother, a mother, and a daughter; passing on her knowledge to younger generations and neighbors that was shared with her by her own ancestors, who too were once crafters and traders, most notably crafters passing along the northern shore of Georgian Bay to the southern bank of what is now Wiikwemkoong Unceded Territory.
11 CURIOUS THINGS ABOUT ME
1. Family is my #1 priority. I am the oldest of eight children and have two of my own. Now I spend the best part of my time with my grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
2. Creating and making jewelry is my second career. I spent most of my first career in finance and management in the corporate world.
3. When life changed for me, I decided to take courses to help me understand the theory behind jewelry making. I completed my studies at home while I cared for children.
4. I love nice and shiny things, beautiful paper, and notebooks, but I am not sure if I want to write in them. So, I collect them.
5. I love attending communities and events. I attended a few festivals and tradeshows. But honestly, I can be found at home as I am more of an ambivert.
6. I am an adornment enthusiast because I believe it is all about the details. My desire is to make beautiful shiny things.
7. I love pets, not by choice but through grandchildren. There is nothing like fur love.
8. I love making jewelry, for me, it is more about the process, telling a story, and exploring the materials and technique not so much the result. After 10 years as a smith maker, I am now just becoming an emerging artist.
9. I buy books that I never have time to read but I love to read.
10. I am Native American, and a member of the Wiikwemkoong Unceded Territory situated on the beautiful Manitoulin Island, Ontario, Canada.
11. I grew up watching and helping my grandparents with their crafts, as they were my first artisan mentors. Be it birchbark canoes, quill box creations, quilt making, knitting/crocheting, or helping my grandfather with his creations of totem poles. I grew up in the great outdoors by camping, maple sugar making, trapping, and more. Being raised in rural land is peaceful and invigorating. but I love what a city can offer me too. Now I am so called ambivert who loves her peace, partying to her own beat, and creating. Most of all feeling fulfilled.